Top Navigation

Custom Categories Archives: Historic Restoration

St. John’s Morris Hall

Completion Date: 2000
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Architect: Andrew Hiegel

“National Register of Historic Places”

Associated Builders and Contractors Award for “Excellence in Construction, Renovation, and Restoration of a Project Over $1 Million”

This historic building was built in the 1890’s as a seminary for the Catholic Diocese. East Harding renovated the structure into class A office space for the Catholic Diocese of Little Rock.

The renovation of the 45,000 sf building required all new heating and cooling, plumbing and electrical systems throughout. All exterior windows, including numerous leaded glass windows on the front facade, were replaced or rebuilt to make the building more energy efficient. An extensive structural renovation was required for the building to satisfy modern code requirements. 10,000 sf of new space was added to provide new vertical circulation and other support facilities. The interior finishes were completely redesigned to provide a more appropriate working atmosphere for the administrative offices of the diocese.

Continue Reading

Union Deltic Building

Completion Date: March 2009
Location: El Dorado, Arkansas
Architect: Kirschner Architecture, P.A.

The historic Union-Deltic Building in Downtown El Dorado received new mechanical and electrical upgrades along with renovations on four of the seven floors. This was a carefully phased operation to avoid downtime or interruption of workflow within the offices in the structure.

Continue Reading

The Capital Hotel

Completion Date: November 2007
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Architect: Cromwell Architects Engineers

“National Register of Historic Places”

A major multi-million dollar renovation from the ground floor up of the four-story hotel built in 1876. The renovation included new meeting rooms, five state-of-the-art kitchens, new plumbing, new HVAC, wireless internet in every room, and two more polished restaurants. All guest rooms were redone…no two rooms are alike.The guiding goal of renovating this 1872 Hotel was to retain the elegance of the 1800s but modernized for the 21st century.

  • Awarded Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) 2008 “Award of Excellence” for Renovation/Restoration Project over $10 million.
  • Awarded “Excellence in Preservation Through Restoration” by the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas.
Continue Reading

University of Arkansas Peabody Hall

Completion Date: August 2011
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Architect: Allison Architects

‘2011 Excellence in Preservation through Rehabilitation Award’

by the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas

East Harding Construction was the construction manager for the renovation/restoration of the historic Peabody Hall on the UA Fayetteville campus. Peabody Hall, built in 1913, houses the College of Education and Administration. Construction began in the Spring of 2010 with completion in August 2011.

Project work included the restoration of the exterior of the building, including the removal of several layers of paint on the original masonry surfaces and new windows and doors that replicate the original appearance of the building. The interior was renovated to provide modern academic and office space to accommodate the current and future needs including 6 general purpose classrooms, a computer lab, a technology education lab, and a seminar room; 43 faculty offices and departmental administrative offices; and a café for use by building occupants and the general campus. The previously dirt-floored basement was converted to a lobby and loading/unloading area. Building systems, such as HVAC, AV/IT, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection were also updated to modern standards. A new elevator makes the building completely accessible.

  • Awarded the “Excellence in Preservation Through Rehabilitation” for 2011 by the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas.
  • Awarded the “Best Preservation Practices” award from the City of Fayetteville and the Fayetteville Historic District Commission.
Continue Reading

Arkansas Studies Institute

Completion Date: March 2009
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Architect: Polk Stanley Rowland Curzon Porter Architects

A joint project of the Central Arkansas Library System and UALR.  Located in the heart of downtown Little Rock, ASI celebrated its opening on March 21, 2009. 60,000 sf, integrating 3 buildings — the Porbeck & Bowman Building (built 1882), the Geyer & Adams Building (built 1914), with the steel and glass addition (20,000 sf). Preserving Arkansas history is the focus of the joint project of the Central Arkansas Library System and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Art galleries, research rooms, meeting and classrooms, retail space and over 10,000 volumes of history are features of the Institute.

More than 100 glass art panels featuring scenes from Arkansas’ historic past are on permanent display throughout the building; the exterior includes seven fin-shaped footed glass panels, designed to resemble pages of a book, with historic images portrayed.

Awards:

Best-Overall Construction Project for 2009
by South Central Construction, a McGraw-Hill Publication
Members Choice Award for 2009
by The Arkansas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
“Excellence in Preservation Through Restoration” and
Outstanding New Construction in an Historic Setting
by the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas
National Award ($15 Million to $75 Million)
by American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC IDEAS)
2011 AIA/ALA National Library Building Award
by American Institute of Architects/American Library Association

 

Continue Reading

5 Main Place

Location: Little Rock, AR
Completion Date:
November 2012
Architect: WD&D Architects

“National Register of Historic Places”
Received USGBC Green Certification

Built in 1921 in the Classical Revival style of architecture, the 5 floors, mezzanine and basement, a total of 45,750 square feet, received a thorough renovation.

The building has undergone a complete interior demolition down to exterior walls and floor slabs.  A new building core was constructed to include 2 new stairs, a new passenger elevator, a new freight elevator, and new bathrooms.  The first floor features a conference room for 100 people, plus offices and amenities.  The mezzanine to 5th floors are programmed for professional and executive offices and support spaces.  Every window was replaced to historic standard.  A 4-story adjacent building was demolished for parking.

 

 

 

Continue Reading