Completion Date: March 2009
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Architect: Polk Stanley Rowland Curzon Porter Architects

A joint project of the Central Arkansas Library System and UALR.  Located in the heart of downtown Little Rock, ASI celebrated its opening on March 21, 2009. 60,000 sf, integrating 3 buildings — the Porbeck & Bowman Building (built 1882), the Geyer & Adams Building (built 1914), with the steel and glass addition (20,000 sf). Preserving Arkansas history is the focus of the joint project of the Central Arkansas Library System and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Art galleries, research rooms, meeting and classrooms, retail space and over 10,000 volumes of history are features of the Institute.

More than 100 glass art panels featuring scenes from Arkansas’ historic past are on permanent display throughout the building; the exterior includes seven fin-shaped footed glass panels, designed to resemble pages of a book, with historic images portrayed.


Best-Overall Construction Project for 2009
by South Central Construction, a McGraw-Hill Publication
Members Choice Award for 2009
by The Arkansas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
“Excellence in Preservation Through Restoration” and
Outstanding New Construction in an Historic Setting

by the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas
National Award ($15 Million to $75 Million)
by American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC IDEAS)
2011 AIA/ALA National Library Building Award
by American Institute of Architects/American Library Association