Historic Renovation

East Harding Construction has special expertise renovating buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  We are proud of the prestigious renovation awards we have earned from the Arkansas Preservation Alliance.

 

Please enjoy seeing some of the work we have completed on 25 plus National Register or Historic Places Buildings…

Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects

Corporate Office

 

The 13,000 sf Winchester building was built in 1947 and represents the quintessential architectural design of the forty’s. Along with its glass block entrance & steel windows, this structure boasts a mezzanine and several store front windows. The renovation of this historical building includes a complete interior demolition and remodel along with restoring the exterior facade and reworking structural components while maintaining historical elements. There is a dumb waiter that has been repaired, relocated & made functional again. East Harding’s expertise with Historic Renovations and budgeting using the VE process has been key to keeping this project within budget.

 

This historic building is now the new corporate office for Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects.

Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects

Corporate Office

 

The 13,000 sf Winchester building was built in 1947 and represents the quintessential architectural design of the forty’s. Along with its glass block entrance & steel windows, this structure boasts a mezzanine and several store front windows. The renovation of this historical building includes a complete interior demolition and remodel along with restoring the exterior facade and reworking structural components while maintaining historical elements. There is a dumb waiter that has been repaired, relocated & made functional again. East Harding’s expertise with Historic Renovations and budgeting using the VE process has been key to keeping this project within budget.

 

This historic building is now the new corporate office for Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects.

Little Rock Technology Park

The Little Rock Technology Park Authority is a nonprofit governmental unit formed in 2011 to acquire, develop and manage a research technology center in Little Rock. The Tech Park Ph. I is the merger of two buildings: 28,590 sf (417 Main Street); and, 10,020 sf (415 Main Street). The focus of the Park is to provide space for established IT companies, startups, peripheral professional services and a co-working section.

 

The Tech Park houses more than forty companies and adjoins the 45,750 square foot Five Main Place building (listed on the National Register of Historic Places) that East Harding renovated in 2013.

Little Rock Technology Park

The Little Rock Technology Park Authority is a nonprofit governmental unit formed in 2011 to acquire, develop and manage a research technology center in Little Rock. The Tech Park Ph. I is the merger of two buildings: 28,590 sf (417 Main Street); and, 10,020 sf (415 Main Street). The focus of the Park is to provide space for established IT companies, startups, peripheral professional services and a co-working section.

 

The Tech Park houses more than forty companies and adjoins the 45,750 square foot Five Main Place building (listed on the National Register of Historic Places) that East Harding renovated in 2013.

Are you COVID ready?

Let us show you how to build out for
COVID prevention protocols!

Contact Win Trafford-870.543.9669 wtrafford@eastharding.com

University of Arkansas-Fayetteville

Peabody Hall

 

University of Arkansas selected East Harding Construction for the renovation of the historic 1913 Peabody Hall. Project work included the restoration of the exterior of the building, including the removal of several layers of paint and new windows and doors that replicate the original appearance of the building.

 

The interior was renovated to provide modern academic and office space to accommodate needs of the College of Education and Health Professions including: six general purpose classrooms, a computer lab, a technology education lab, and a seminar room; 43 faculty offices and departmental administrative offices; and a café. The previously dirt-floored basement was converted to a lobby and loading/unloading area. Building systems, such as HVAC, AV/IT, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection were also updated to modern standards. A new elevator makes the building completely accessible. State-of-the-art teaching equipment was added and all mechanical/plumbing systems were replaced. To maintain the high ceilings, a chilled beam mechanical system was incorporated, reducing the need for in-ceiling duct work.

 

Key historic interior components, such as the original pine flooring and stamped metal ceiling tiles, were salvaged and reused in the building.

University of Arkansas-Fayetteville

Peabody Hall

 

University of Arkansas selected East Harding Construction for the renovation of the historic 1913 Peabody Hall. Project work included the restoration of the exterior of the building, including the removal of several layers of paint and new windows and doors that replicate the original appearance of the building.

 

The interior was renovated to provide modern academic and office space to accommodate needs of the College of Education and Health Professions including: six general purpose classrooms, a computer lab, a technology education lab, and a seminar room; 43 faculty offices and departmental administrative offices; and a café. The previously dirt-floored basement was converted to a lobby and loading/unloading area. Building systems, such as HVAC, AV/IT, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection were also updated to modern standards. A new elevator makes the building completely accessible. State-of-the-art teaching equipment was added and all mechanical/plumbing systems were replaced. To maintain the high ceilings, a chilled beam mechanical system was incorporated, reducing the need for in-ceiling duct work.

 

Key historic interior components, such as the original pine flooring and stamped metal ceiling tiles, were salvaged and reused in the building.

Benton County Courthouse

Built in 1928, Benton County received a grant from the Walton Family Foundation to renovate the interior and exterior of the Courthouse.  The renovation of the Courthouse consisted of an extensive exterior envelope renovation, including related site work, waterproofing, and new windows, maintaining the original facade.

 

The first floor of the courthouse received a complete renovation including mechanical/electrical/data.

 

All of this was accomplished while the Courthouse was operating.

Benton County Courthouse

Built in 1928, Benton County received a grant from the Walton Family Foundation to renovate the interior and exterior of the Courthouse.  The renovation of the Courthouse consisted of an extensive exterior envelope renovation, including related site work, waterproofing, and new windows, maintaining the original facade.

 

The first floor of the courthouse received a complete renovation including mechanical/electrical/data.

 

All of this was accomplished while the Courthouse was operating.

Central Arkansas Library System

Bobby L. Roberts Library of Arkansas History & Art
 

This project, constructed as the Arkansas Studies Institute, houses Arkansas-related books, manuscripts, photographs, audio and UALR’s Ottenheimer’s Archives and Special Collections …10 million manuscripts and 46,000 books, including the most extensive collection of Arkansas governors’ official papers, including Governors Jim Guy Tucker, Bill Clinton, Frank White, Dale Bumpers, Winthrop Rockefeller, Carl Bailey, Thomas McRae, and George Donaghey.

 

The building is also home to the Clinton School of Public Service; the Arkansas Humanities Council; the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies; Central Arkansas Library System Art Galleries; Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture; UALR Archives and Special Collections; and the UALR Urban Policy Forum.

 

The Geyer & Adams Building (built in 1914 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places) and the Budget Office Building (built in 1883 of heavy timber) in downtown Little Rock were renovated, and a 20,000 square foot addition made of steel and glass construction now comprise the 68,000 square foot building  that represents three centuries of construction.

 

The exterior is designed with seven fin-shaped frosted-glass panels that resemble pages of a book.  The fins  block the heat but also let the light through.  The fins protect the archives from direct sunlight.  The bottom panel of each fin features a historic image of Arkansas.

Central Arkansas Library System

Bobby L. Roberts Library of Arkansas History & Art

 

This project, constructed as the Arkansas Studies Institute, houses Arkansas-related books, manuscripts, photographs, audio and UALR’s Ottenheimer’s Archives and Special Collections …10 million manuscripts and 46,000 books, including the most extensive collection of Arkansas governors’ official papers, including Governors Jim Guy Tucker, Bill Clinton, Frank White, Dale Bumpers, Winthrop Rockefeller, Carl Bailey, Thomas McRae, and George Donaghey.

 

The building is also home to the Clinton School of Public Service; the Arkansas Humanities Council; the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies; Central Arkansas Library System Art Galleries; Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture; UALR Archives and Special Collections; and the UALR Urban Policy Forum.

 

The Geyer & Adams Building (built in 1914 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places) and the Budget Office Building (built in 1883 of heavy timber) in downtown Little Rock were renovated, and a 20,000 square foot addition made of steel and glass construction now comprise the 68,000 square foot building  that represents three centuries of construction.

 

The exterior is designed with seven fin-shaped frosted-glass panels that resemble pages of a book.  The fins  block the heat but also let the light through.  The fins protect the archives from direct sunlight.  The bottom panel of each fin features a historic image of Arkansas.

University of the Ozarks

Munger-Wilson Chapel

 

The Chapel was built in 1932, the oldest building on Campus. A complete demolition and new build out for a new Center for Spiritual Development that includes offices, conference rooms, meeting rooms, a catering kitchen, lounge with a ventless fireplace and limestone surround and hearth, and the addition of two new full scale restrooms.

 

Electrical, mechanical, plumbing and audio/visual systems were updated for the entire building, including installation of a new 50-ton chiller, a new boiler, all new interior and exterior LED lighting, and new fan coil units throughout.

 

The sanctuary and the exterior of the Chapel also received major restoration attention.

University of the Ozarks

Munger-Wilson Chapel

 

The Chapel was built in 1932, the oldest building on Campus. A complete demolition and new build out for a new Center for Spiritual Development that includes offices, conference rooms, meeting rooms, a catering kitchen, lounge with a ventless fireplace and limestone surround and hearth, and the addition of two new full scale restrooms.

 

Electrical, mechanical, plumbing and audio/visual systems were updated for the entire building, including installation of a new 50-ton chiller, a new boiler, all new interior and exterior LED lighting, and new fan coil units throughout.

 

The sanctuary and the exterior of the Chapel also received major restoration attention.

The Capital Hotel

What began as a kitchen update became a complete renovation and addition for the landmark hotel. The 135-year old building was “taken down to the studs” – every inch of the Hotel was refurbished. The goal of Warren and Harriet Stephens was to bring the Hotel to the top of luxury hotels. No two rooms are alike in the Hotel – walls were moved replacing 120 rooms with 94 more spacious guest rooms, bathrooms and closets. Four rooms were added; 1,100 sf corner suites with reception foyer, powder rooms, dining and living area. New meeting rooms, five state-of-the-art kitchens, new plumbing, heating, HVAC, wireless systems, and more.

 

The building next door was demolished to add a gated parking area.

 

The result – and you feel it the instant you walk in the door – a step back in time to “old world elegance” but with all the conveniences and technology of today.

The Capital Hotel

What began as a kitchen update became a complete renovation and addition for the landmark hotel. The 135-year old building was “taken down to the studs” – every inch of the Hotel was refurbished. The goal of Warren and Harriet Stephens was to bring the Hotel to the top of luxury hotels. No two rooms are alike in the Hotel – walls were moved replacing 120 rooms with 94 more spacious guest rooms, bathrooms and closets. Four rooms were added; 1,100 sf corner suites with reception foyer, powder rooms, dining and living area. New meeting rooms, five state-of-the-art kitchens, new plumbing, heating, HVAC, wireless systems, and more.

 

The building next door was demolished to add a gated parking area.

 

The result – and you feel it the instant you walk in the door – a step back in time to “old world elegance” but with all the conveniences and technology of today.

Museum of Discovery

Total refocus — moved the front entrance, added 6,000 sf to the 36,000 sf for the reception area, addition of a new theater, conference room, full kitchen and classroom, and prepared the Museum for 85 new exhibits.

 

Phase I was the relocation of the staff offices — Phase II was the transformation of the loading dock into a new front entrance and gift shop — Phase III was the demo and renovation of the existing exhibit areas.

 

All accomplished in a very tight construction area in downtown Little Rock and completed while the staff was on site and working.

Museum of Discovery

Total refocus — moved the front entrance, added 6,000 sf to the 36,000 sf for the reception area, addition of a new theater, conference room, full kitchen and classroom, and prepared the Museum for 85 new exhibits.

 

Phase I was the relocation of the staff offices — Phase II was the transformation of the loading dock into a new front entrance and gift shop — Phase III was the demo and renovation of the existing exhibit areas.

 

All accomplished in a very tight construction area in downtown Little Rock and completed while the staff was on site and working.

eSTEM Public Charter Schools

eSTEM is a college preparatory environment focusing on the study of the Economics related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, using the Arkansas curriculum, located in Downtown Little Rock in the historic Arkansas Gazette Building. 60,715 sf was readapted top to bottom to provide classrooms, art, computer and science centers to accommodate approximately 850 students.

 

This project was fast-track, design-build for the Arkansas Education Reform Foundation

eSTEM Public Charter Schools

eSTEM is a college preparatory environment focusing on the study of the Economics related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, using the Arkansas curriculum, located in Downtown Little Rock in the historic Arkansas Gazette Building. 60,715 sf was readapted top to bottom to provide classrooms, art, computer and science centers to accommodate approximately 850 students.

 

This project was fast-track, design-build for the Arkansas Education Reform Foundation

See More of Our Projects...

 

East Harding Construction
2230 Cottondale Lane
Suite 3

Little Rock, AR.  72202
501.661.1646

info@eastharding.com

  • About Us
  • Our Approach
  • Our People
  • Workforce Diversity-MWBE
  • Sustainability
  • Safety
  • Construction Management/General Contractor/Design Build
  • Renovations
  • Our Projects
  • Our Blog
  • Contact Us
  • Careers

 

East Harding Construction
2230 Cottondale Lane, Suite 3
Little Rock, Arkansas  72202
501.661.1646

info@eastharding.com

  • About Us
  • Our Approach
  • Our People
  • Workforce Diversity-MWBE
  • Sustainability
  • Safety
  • Construction Management
  • General Contractor
  • Renovations
  • Our Projects
  • Our Blog
  • Contact Us
  • Careers